Sift in Otley

After the admirable pasta lunch, we strolled in the town of Otley. It was our first time there. Wherever I go, finding a good pastry is my practice. In Otley, we tried a cafe bakery called Sift. It was a cute small shop, simply decorated with pastel colors. I felt as if I stepped into a room of doll house. When I saw their counter, I thought I was at the right place. Pretty baked goods! We bought three kinds of cakes: raspberry & rose cake, chocolate cake with Earl Grey & vanilla infused buttercream, and rhubarb and almond loaf (I think), and when we got back home, had them at home with a cup of tea. Each cake was fantastic. Those were a type of sweets that I would like to keep on my kitchen counter.
Other than Sift, I didn't see any attractive bakery or any other interesting shops in the town, though. There was a pork shop called Weegmann's. The showcase of the family business, founded in 1869, was of course, filled with pork pies. Every market town in Yorkshire holds at least an established butcher who sells pork pies. That's my finding so far.
It was one of weekends in last September. We saw many people wearing a sort of costumes, enjoying a certain type of dance and music across the town. It looked like a kind of folk festival although I don't know the history or meaning of the event.
If something brings us back to Otley in the future, I wouldn't mind having another Italian lunch and some treats from Sift again.

Popular Posts