Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream Sandwich with Grain, Daily, Egg-free Chocolate Chip Cookies

This was blueberry swirl ice cream sandwich with grain, daily, egg-free chocolate chip cookies.

It was a day before when I made the ice cream, we tasted it, and J said we could make ice cream sandwich with chocolate chip cookies. So I baked chocolate chip cookies to make J's dream come true. I had a few of promising chocolate chip cookie recipes like one from New York Times, but wanted to make a healthy version. I made gluten-free, vegan chocolate chip cookies before and J liked them very much. The recipe for the cookies was from a great blog for healthy living, the Detoxinista. I went back to the website and found another healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe there. It was almost the same as the other recipe but use an egg or flax egg. What is flax egg? I found out it was vegan faux egg made with flax seeds and water. Brilliant! To make my cookies vegan, I chose flax egg. It was easy to make. Flax egg certainly had egg-like consistency, so it will work like glue in the dough. But like a real egg, can it make the cookie caky or help building cookie's structure?
Set my humble questions aside. Look at this beautiful cookies! I made my cookies much bigger than my usual cookies because their mission was to sandwich ice cream. Bigger can hold more ice cream in my theory.
Ok, now back to my small question. I think the answer was NO. My cookies were very soft, even difficult to hold the shape flat when lifted. Perhaps it wasn't simply because a real egg was missing. Maybe the combination of it, other ingredients, the shape, etc.
The unexpectedly-too-soft-cookies didn't change our original plan, though. We managed to sandwich a big scoop of ice cream between the cookies neatly. I think soft was better than crunchy in this case. We enjoyed our homemade big ice cream cookie sandwiches. Then J said maybe I should bake normal chocolate chip cookies next time. Yes, maybe.

Popular Posts