Blueberry Swirl Ice Cream

This was homemade blueberry swirl ice cream.

It was the first homemade ice cream in Summer 2014! I adapted a recipe of Jeni's roasted strawberry ice cream from her book Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream with some changes like skipping cream cheese, replacing all refined sugar with honey, using low-fat yogurt, adding a splash of vodka, etc. And replacing roasted fresh strawberries with simmered frozen blueberries.
In short, the result was very HONEY. It was the most honey flavor ice cream in my life. J agreed with me. I could have used gentle flavored honey, like French lavender honey, but didn't have such special honey in hand. I used one that I grabbed at a local grocery store. At least it was organic honey. But don't get me wrong. The strong honey flavor wasn't bad at all. Just unexpected. The ice cream was really wonderful. However, there was a problem (again). It was my first attempt to draw "swirl" in ice cream. Layering churned ice cream and berry sauce alternatively was the way to go. But the blueberry sauce part was a little thick and became independent hard icy chunks. Next time I will make the swirl thiner and marble into ice cream to marry berry sauce with ice cream better.

Popular Posts