Homemade Meatless Meatball Sandwich

These were homemade meatless meatball sandwiches.

Five pieces of the leftover delicious meatless meatballs that got J's approval were in the freezer. Five was small for another pasta dish but would be appropriate for sandwich for two.

Good bread for good meatballs. Because meatball sandwich is an Italian (probably American-Italian) business, Italian bread would be nice. But not too rustic but not too soft would be ideal. I prefer authentic looking as well as easy-to-bite.

After quick online research, I picked a recipe of "Italian Supermarket Bread"by King Arthur Flour. I didn't get the meaning of the name, but the picture was pretty enough to get my attention. One ingredient I hadn't used for homemade bread before was potato flour. I didn't have potato flour, so I used dried potato flakes that I luckily found in the kitchen pantry. Potato flour was supposed to make bread soft and moist. That would be great for sandwich bread crumb.
They were my beautiful Italian bread! One with sesame; one without. I know J likes with sesame.
Crust was gorgeous. It wasn't rough like French baguette but not thin like burger buns. Just right crunchiness. Move on to sandwich making. I made fresh marinara sauce and simmered meatless meatballs in the sauce to heat thoroughly. Then layer fresh basil leaves from our garden and fresh mozzarella cheese from our refrigerator on the warm meatballs.
Broiled a little bit to melt cheese. Cheese became gummy... Fresh mozzarellas might have been not the best cheese in hot sandwich. But that didn't spoil anything anyway.
We won't find better meatball sandwich than this!

Popular Posts