Harvest Trio from Frog Hollow Farm

These were Harvest Trio from Frog Hollow Farm.

Fruit jam by Frog Hollow Farm was selected as one of "The Best Jams and Preserves in the USA" by Serious Eats, along with INNA's. I did like INNA's very much. Like INNA, Frog Hollow Farm is also based in California. I thought it would be interesting to compare one with the other. Actually I bought this Trio for my mother's birthday, but shipping took longer than I thought, and we couldn't send the set of jams to her in time. We sent her something else instead. Therefore, the jams became mine. Well, I didn't expect it, but honestly I didn't mind it at all.
The trip consists of apricot, peach, and nectarine & plum. I have opened apricot and nectarine & plum. Both were packed with large chunky fruit, and tasted fine, yes! fruity! Then, I curiously conducted a tasting test of apricot conserve from Frog and INNA side by side. Remember INNA's apricot jam was the main reason of why I bought their jam. It was supposed to be the best of best according to Serious Eats, and I loved it.
Left (brighter orange) was Frog's; right (darker orange) was INNA's. Their colors were obviously dissimilar; their tastes were quite different, too. Both tasted like apricot, but I tasted Frog's somewhat muted and INNA's sharp and bright. Interestingly their taste was opposite from their color. For me, the winner was INNA's! That doesn't mean Frog's is not good. I tasted it alone next day again, and I thought it was pretty good, and didn't think its flavor dull. My parents, especially my father would probably prefer Frog's mellow taste because he doesn't like tart fruits. I have already an idea of Christmas gift for them!
 

Popular Posts