Banana-Caramel Coconut Cream Pie with Dark Rum

This was Banana-Caramel Coconut Cream Pie with Dark Rum.

It was the dessert we had after our great Father's Day celebration dinner. I closely followed a recipe from Cook's Illustrated with just one change - I replaced all sugar in filling and whipped cream with Splenda. That made me feel better to make this sweet pie!
I liked the crust made with animal crackers, not usual graham crackers.
I was so careful not to undercook or not to burn caramel. I think I did very well?
My bananas were slightly under-ripen on time!
I poured coconut custard cream as much as possible.
After I chilled the pie in the refrigerator about for 7 hours, the custard was beautifully set and sliced! With whipped cream on top, I served the largest piece to myself! At that point, my memory of the big surf & turf dinner has vanished.
Wow, the pie was incredible! Love, love, love!! Cook's Illustrated also provides a recipe of simple coconut cream pie, but adding banana-caramel layer and rum was clearly a worthwhile effort. While I fell in love with the pie, J mentioned rum was a little strong. Oops, how could he remind me that I secretly added 1 tablespoon of rum (because I like a rummy flavor) instead of 2/3 tablespoon that the recipe called for?!

Popular Posts