Salmon Poke from The District Fishwife

This was Salmon Poke from the District Fishwife at Union Market, DC.

Finally my Poke dream came true! This time the market wasn't crowded like the last time, and we were there before 11 am when some stores, including the District Fishwife, open their kitchen. There were two choices for Poke: tuna and salmon. After a 15 minutes consideration, I decided to order salmon. I wish they make a tuna-&-salmon-combo. I was the first customer of the day although I had to wait for about 20 minutes to get my Poke after I placed the order. However I quickly forgot about the unexpected long waiting time when I tasted the salmon Poke. It was very good! The salmon was fresh and tasty with some kind of Asian(Hawaiian?)-style seasoning. I loved the seaweed and pickled ginger. The vinegar-seasoned rice, like sushi rice, could have been better, though. The rice, which was still warm, was a little tough and dry. Perhaps it wasn't not only because how to prepare was not proper but also a kind of rice they use wasn't high-quality. Sorry, but as a Japanese I am very particular about rice. Overall I did enjoy my first Poke. I look forward to trying Tuna Poke next time!

Popular Posts