Blueberry Buttermilk Cake

This was blueberry buttermilk cake.

My raspberry buttermilk cake was wonderful. I still had some buttermilk. So I baked the blueberry version of the cake, following the same recipe, but replacing fresh raspberries with frozen blueberries. The result wasn't what I expected. The cake didn't have fluffy sponge. Instead, it was flat and somewhat dense. It tasted ok, though. So, the texture was wrong. What did I do?

- Frozen blueberries released a lot of juice during baking. I was a witness of the cake in the oven around a half way of the total baking time, that was rising itself under the bubbling ocean of blueberry juice. Fresh raspberries didn't release juice like that.

- I wanted to prevent my blueberry cake from turing green. If my little knowledge is collect, what makes homemade blueberry baked goods green is high pH. So, although the recipe called for 1/2 of teaspoon of both baking soda and baking powder, I skipped baking soda and used a little more than 1/2 of teaspoon of baking powder.

- Recently I ran across an article by King Arther Flour, titled How to Prevent Dense, Gluey Streaks in Your Cake: Quick Tip. My blueberry buttermilk cake DID had gluey streaks. According to the article, it could be because of over-creamed batter that makes cake rise in the oven but sink after taking out from the oven. In fact, I mixed the batter with high-speed for a quite long time, maybe longer than I did for the raspberry cake. It seemed that my cake didn't rise in the oven after all, over-creaming could be a part of this mess.
Oh, well, the cake didn't reach my expectation, but was still acceptable as our dessert and breakfast.

Popular Posts