Vanilla Pear Coffee Cake

This was vanilla pear coffee cake.

I bought a can of pear some months ago to make pumpkin pear bread again, but I might not appreciate the warm pumpkin color so much in early summer. A little too late. When I googled with key words: canned pear and cake, I found a promissing recipe of vanilla pear coffee cake from Mavis Butterfield's Hundred Dollars a Month. By the way, the site looks very interesting, I should go back and read other posts. I replaced sugar with coconut sugar and reduced the amount as usual. The recipe called for 3 cup canned pears, drained and chopped. From one can of mine, there was a little over 1 cup. At that point, I had already started pre-heating oven and felt too lazy to step out to grocery store to get a few extra cans. I tried to distribute my limited pear all over the cake batter evenly. It didn't look deficient actually. I was sure each slice of the cake would contain some pear. Three or four pieces, maybe?
When we tried the cake, I thought it was delightful! The crumb, which I added cinnamon, was wonderful and the cake was light. No wonder coffee cake is named so. It was perfectly paired with a little cup of fresh coffee. J had mixed opinions, though. He liked the cake, but found only one small piece of pear in his slice. Oh-oh. Mine had at least three. His second piece apparently didn't hold enough pear to please him either. Still the cake was absolutely lovely. I will make sure I use 3 cups of pear next time.

Popular Posts