Rosebriar's Pies

This was Strawberry Cream pie from Rosebriar, a local restaurant in NC.

It was a dessert after Thanksgiving dinner. We picked it up a day before and stored it in the refrigerator. It was kinda soggy... I guess the meringue topping was melting. Strawberry cream filling was unified with the meringue. Honestly, the taste was so-so. The crust wasn't flavorful either.

Perhaps, when it was very fresh, it could have tasted better. When we were at the store to place an order, there was strawberry cream pie along with other pies. The meringue topping looked very high!
At that time, I picked a piece of Sugar Free Banana Split. Why? Because it was the fanciest pie among them.
The filling was banana and pineapple. Although the whipped cream wasn't real heavy cream and the crust wasn't buttery (I assume it was made with vegetable shortening), this was a pretty good, much better than what I expected.
When we went back to the store to pick up our order, I got another pie: Almond Joy. The filling was chocolate cream and coconuts, which was just ok. The crust tasted funny, though, as if it was made with lard or bacon fat. It wasn't totally different from the crust of Banana Split.
In fact, I had one more Rosebriar's pie: cherry pie. It was not no-bake pies like all the above but a double-crust pie. It was not so bad. The filling was a little starchy, though. I would safely say if I have to choose a commercial baked fruit pie, I would vote for one from Grand Traverse Pie Company.

According to my limited sampling, it seemed that Rosebriar's pie quality was somewhat inconsistent. For me, their pies remind me of those available at an American diner even though I have been to such a dinner only a few times and never tried pie there. Anyway, I love to try a local food and it was so fun to taste multiple pies from this local favorite lunch place during a short stay in NC.

Popular Posts