Homemade Sourdough Crumpets

These were homemade sourdough crumpets.

I was reading David Lebovitz's blog, one of my favorite food blogs a few weeks ago and found his recent post about crumpets. We have had crumpets before and we like them. It's hard to find crumpets around here, though. We used to buy some at Trader Joe's, but we rarely go to the grocery chain. I don't remember when the last time we had crumpets was. The post had a recipe. I have four English muffin rings that can be used for crumpets. Let's make our own crumpets! But, before doing so, I wanted to read comments for the post to see if there were any tips or reviews from anyone who actually tried the recipe. I found a comment suggesting the recipe on the King Arthur Flour website is super easy and delicious for people who maintain a sourdough starter. Such people is me! I went to the KAF website and found the recipe. You only need unfed sourdough starter, a little bit of sugar, salt and baking soda, mix all and cook them. That's all. Sounded super easy indeed. While many people seem happy with the recipe, a few don't mainly because their batter didn't rise up well. Some advice for the latter was to use unfed starter that was fed within 12 hours before using. I was a little concerned about my unfed starter that was fed a week ago. I decided to make crumpets with 8oz of unfed starter that was fed a week ago and another 8oz of unfed starter that was fed just a day before. 8oz of unfed starter makes four crumpets. First I cooked a-week-ago-fed starter. The crumpets made with the starter rose and made little air holes on the surface. They looked fine. Then, I repeated with a-day-before-fed starter. The picture below was the crumpets with a-day-before-fed starter. They looked like rising more and bubbling more than those with a-week-ago-fed starter.
Once all of the crumpets were cooked, I toasted four of them, two from the first batch and two from the second batch to compare one with the other. Two piece per person. I enjoyed mine with butter spread and strawberry-rhubarb jam. Well, both batches were kinda similar in terms of texture after all.  Their outside was crispy and inside slightly chewy. They tasted very nice. We liked the sourdough crumpets! It's another great way to use unfed starter. Probably it's the easiest recipe so far.
By the way, the strawberry-rhubarb jam was Rare Bird's. It was fine, but I prefer American Spoon's that has more intense and bright flavors, I think.
Next time I would love to make some by adapting David Lebovitz's recipe. Hopefully crumpets can be back in our breakfast routine!

Popular Posts