Homemade Fishwich, revisit

This was homemade Fishwich.

It was about three years ago when we made Fishwich with cod and homemade Focaccia. It was alright but not the best according to my blog...well, I don't have clear memory about the first homemade Fishwich. This time, we used frozen haddock fillets that we recently bought at a local Whole Foods store and baked Kaiser rolls. For the rolls, I adapted Peter Reinhart's recipe that was originally for hoagie and cheesesteak rolls, but he said "the dough also makes great Kaiser rolls." I learned how to shape kaizer rolls by watching a couple of youtube videos, and used about 5 oz of the dough per roll. After baked, the rolls became the ideal size for Fishwich!
For the fish, I adapted the recipe of Crispy Oven-Fried Cod Fish that I found online and made some changes. I made crust with 2 tablespoons of cornmeal, 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and a little sprinkles of garlic powder; and used just 1 egg. The crust mix covered two fillets enough. I didn't add extra oil in the pan after I flipped over the fillets. After cooking in the oven 6 minutes, the fillets were not done yet. I flipped over them again and returned to the oven, cooking another 5 minutes. The fillets were finally done and both sides were golden crispy brown. This stovetop-and-oven method was easy, but generated a lot of smoke!
For sandwich, aged sharp cheddar that was J's special pick, tomatoes, red onion, butter lettuce, homemade tartar sauce and our favorite French mustard, Pommery's Meaux Mustard.
The result was the best Fishwich ever! Even though we had to deal with our smoke detector during cooking and we had to sleep in the strong fishy-smokey air at the night, we believe the Fishwich was incredible and would love to make them again!

Popular Posts