Strawberry-Rhubarb Yogurt Streusel Cake

This was strawberry-rhubarb yogurt streusel cake.

There was a good amount of Rare Bird's strawberry-rhubarb jam left in the jar, and I saw the recipe of Strawberry Sour Cream Streusel Cake by Nigella Lawson, published in the New York Times. I had an idea. For the cake, I adapted the recipe with several changes. I reduced flour and butter by 20% to bake the cake in 8 inch pan, replaced sugar with coconut sugar and halved the amount, skipped sour cream and used about 3/4 cup of low-fat yogurt, and added about one tablespoon of German apple-pear brandy. For filling, I used my jam instead of making strawberry puree from scratch. That was a nice shortcut. I also skipped Demerara sugar in the crumble topping.
The cake was very easy to make. It was a kind of everyday cake. Not fancy. Simply homey. The cake was lovely as is; with whipped cream, delightful as well.
There was one thing that I would like to change when I make the cake next time. Yes, there will be the next. The filling sank to the bottom. I wanted to see the filling layer in the middle of the cake, which is just a silly visual matter. To do so, I guess I should make the bottom cake layer thicker. We'll see if I am right, hopefully soon.
Rare Bird's jam was nice in the cake while any fruit jam or puree would work well. What can I fill next? And remember myself to make the bottom thicker!

Popular Posts