Moroccan Beef Chili with Chickpeas & Raisins

This was Moroccan beef chili with chickpeas and raisins.

It was our latest slow cooker dinner. The recipe came from our slow cooker book by America's Test Kitchen as usual. Our standard homemade chili has been veggie chili, so this was a nice change. After cooking for 4 hours on high, the Moroccan beef chili looked less liquid, but actually it was alright as chili, not stew. I liked the sweet aromatic flavors from the traditional Moroccan spices such as cumin, cinnamon and paprika. But my favorite part was chickpeas. They were so creamy! On the side, the recipe suggested couscous with fresh mint and scallions. As a couscous lover, why not? Then, I made my bowl - chili over couscous. Why not?
Aha! That was unbelievable or rather embarrassing for J. According to J, chili should be served alone. Couscous should be a side, which was why the recipe called couscous "on the side." Well well well, I had grown up without knowing chili's existence for years until I stepped on the US soil. And I didn't think "on the side" really meant the location. After all I didn't know the rule. Honestly I have always thought that my veggie chili on steamed white rice would be wonderful, like curry. For me, chili and curry are cousins. Would J agree with that? Hmm, I don't think so.

Popular Posts