Veggie & Tofu Lo Mein

This was Veggie & Tofu Lo Mein.

I simply like this kind of stir-fried noodle or rice dish, so I often make one. But the flavors has been similar by mixing more or less of ginger, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sake, chicken soup, rice vinegar, sugar, honey, and sometimes fish sauce for Thai-ish flavor as it depends on my mood. This time I adapted a recipe of Pork Lo Mein by Cook's Illustrated to make a new sauce. It wasn't much difference but the recipe used Hoisin sauce, which was new for me. And Chinese five spice. I needed only 1/4 teaspoon, so I didn't buy a jar. So I made it by myself. This was my happy moment that I was able to open my first jar of Sichuan peppercorns that I bought from Penzey's a little while ago. Finally! In terms of other ingredients, this was veggie noodle dish, so I didn't add pork but Tofu. I also added Shiitake mushroom, a lot of Chinese Napa cabbage and scallions. I used thin yellow Ramen-style noodle that I bought from online Asian market. The result was pretty good! This sauce provided a little more aromatic spice flavors and depth than my usual sauce. This new sauce will become a part of my stir-fry routine.

Popular Posts