Toshikoshi-ta Soba

This was Toshikoshi-ta Soba.

It's a Japanese tradition to eat buckwheat noodles, or Soba on New Year's Eve, wishing longevity through the coming new year, which I have been told. Some says, it's to cut bad things from this year away, not drawing them to the new year because buckwheat noodle is easy to chew. So buckwheat noodles eaten on New Year's Eve are called the passing-year buckwheat noodles, or Toshikoshi-Soba. However, we missed the chance to eat Toshikosi-Soba on this New Year's Eve and the new year has come already. Yet I didn't feel the new year without the soba. It may sound silly. But sometimes I can't easily ignore that kind of tradition that has been established within my mind since I was born. J will understand it, I hope. It's a healthy tradition with a good wish, anyway. So I made a buckwheat noodle dinner. But I shall call it "Toshikoshi-ta" which means the having-passed-year, Soba. Finally I can officially start my new year.

Popular Posts